We had a great day in Scratch Beginners on Saturday! We created a project in which the Sprites communicated with each other to tell some sort of a story or bad joke, Like I did!
Timing was very important, each sprite had to wait for the other sprite to have their say.
Here are the notes from this week CDA-S7-Week_06-Storiestelling.pdf
A special welcome to all our new members that came to us this week, I hope you enjoyed yourself and hope to see you back again soon.
Thank you all for coming again this week. This week we looked at pen commands, we have not done this before in the Explorers group so it was new for everyone.
We also created some variables which we set as sliders which again is something we had not done before with this group.
Here are the full Pdf version of my notes from this weeks session. CDA-S8 Week 5-Pen Command.pdf
Good to see everyone there on Saturday. We finished our game from the previous week, similar to on old game called Breakout.
We used a number of important coding concepts again this week, loops and decisions, Variables, broadcasting, etc.
Don’t forget we are off for the next two weeks. Enjoy the Break!
Here is a link to the notes: CDA-S8_Week 8-Wipeout.pdf
Good to see everyone again this week
This week we did a Greeting Card, I did a birthday card but some of you did Thank You Cards and New Dog Cards!
Here are this weeks notes in cda-s8-week 3-greetingcard.pdf
See you Next Week
Julie Ruaidhrí and Eoin
Thank you all for coming again this week. Today we started looking at the Scratch 3. We had some small issues saving but hopefully all these little issues will get sorted with updates over the next couple of weeks.
This week we did a simple Piano so we could familiarise ourselves with it.
We only had to draw two keys, and then could duplicate these and change the names. The same applied to the code. The code is the same for each key apart from one small change so the note is the appropriate for the key.
REMEMBER! You need to make four changes each time you duplicate:
Change the name of the spite to the next Note
Change the name of the TWO costumes
Change the NOTE played
Here are notes from this week in PDF cda-s8-week-2-19-piano.pdf
Julie, Ruaidhrí and Eoin
You all did great work on Saturday, there was some quite complex thinking to be done to figure it out but you did great!
- the player picks a level of difficulty and the computer chooses 2 random numbers to add (subtract or multiply- whichever you choose!) together and show the numbers to the player. Fr this we needed 2 SPRITES and 4 VARIABLES called SCORE, LEVEL, NUMBER1 and NUMBER2 as well as 2 BACKDROPS.
- The player then has to enter an answer to the equation and the computer tells them whether they are wrong or right.
- We repeated the ask/answer questions 5 or 10 times. Can you figure out where the REPEAT loop fits?
- We also had a second sprite who reacted positively to correct answers BROADCAST and negatively to wrong answers BROADCAST. You can use whatever sprites you like and change their look whatever way you like. One coder added a puppy as their second and had him bark whenever an answer was correct.
- After all the questions were asked we had the 1st Sprite SAY – Game Over! and BROADCAST Game over so that the backdrop changed and music played. There are two ways to change the backdrop- see below! CDA-S8-Week_9_18-MathsGame.pdfCan you improve our game??! Can you figure out how to subtract or multiply instead of add? Can you get the computer to add three numbers together or give the user 3 level options like: easy, medium or hard? The notes for the Maths Game are here:
See you Saturday
Julie, Ruaidhrí and Eoin
our drawing program. We made good use of costumes this week to make it look like we were dipping our paint brush in each of the different colours.
We also used a variable similarly to how we used in the Piano Game we made. We made it into a slider and then code select the Pen Size we wanted.
Here are the notes in PDF. CDA-S7-Week_08-Paint.PDF
Thank you all for coming on Saturday. A lot of us had to fit into the Advancers Room but we managed. We should be back to our own room next. Thanks to Oliver and his crew for moving to another room for us.
This week we did a new game, How fast can you Type? This week we used Backgrounds as Sprites. Just to mix it up!
We used a variable as our Timer, as we did with our Maths Guessing Game!
Full notes from today are here in PDF CDA-S7-Week 7-How fast can you Type.pdf
And my own game from today is up on the scratch.mit.edu website.
See you all next week.
Julie and Ruaidhrí
Great to see you all on Saturday and welcome to our new members.
We made a slight departure from the games we have done in previous weeks. This weeks game was a mathematical Guessing Game.
We only had one sprite and one large block of code. We had to create variables and figure out all the possible situations that could occur when a guess was made.
Here are the notes in PDF form from our Week 6 Session. CDA-S7-Week_06-GuessNumbers.pdf
I have also uploaded the game to the Scratch Website in our Explorers Account so you can see the full working game.
Thanks for coming Saturday even though the weather was dreadful.
This week, I helped Bo Peep found her sheep! Some of you did the same and some used ideas like Minecraft Steve finding Iron Ore and Diamonds, Knights finding dragons or a Princess finding flowers.
Before we even started our game this week we talked a little bit about File Management and about the importance of keeping your files somewhere you can access them quickly and giving them a meaningful name.
So to this end, we all created a folder where we will be keeping our files in the future and within that we had a sub folder for this weeks files.
We started our game by drawing our background on our stage:
Unfortunately, due to internet problems we could not search the internet for images for our Sprites, but we could still use the sprites from the Scratch Library.
This week, we decided to move our main sprite using the arrow keys. For this we had to learn a small bit about the X and Y axis and I gave you a little tip on how to remember which is which!
Hope you all enjoyed this week, aee you next week when we will be starting a new game!
Here are the notes for this weeks session in PDF CDA-S7-Week_05-BoBeep.pdf
Julie, Ruaidhrí and Eoin