On 27 May 2017, at our final CoderDojo Athenry session of the 2016-17 year, we awarded a total of 93 belts to our ninjas for their great individual achievements in acquiring and demonstrating coding and computing skills. And then we had a party with pizza!
Here is a link to our presentation from the day: CoderDojo Athenry Belts Day 2017
We are very grateful to Clarin College Athenry and the principal, Ciaran Folan, for their enabling CoderDojo Athenry by making the school and its wifi available to us.
We are also very grateful for the sponsorship and support we have received this year:
- Galway Roscommon Education and Training Board, who provide us with an annual Youth Club Grant
- Medtronic, employer of our mentor Declan Fox, who provide us with a grant to match Declan’s excellent volunteering
- HP Enterprise, employer of our mentor Mark Davis, who provide loaner laptops that we make great use of
- Boston Scientific, employer of our mentor Kevin Madden, who provided us with a set of 3D printers this year, which allowed a great new learning experience
Because of these supports, no child or parent/guardian ever has to pay to participate in CoderDojo Athenry.
This year also, mentor Martha Fahy introduced a new idea, “Java Dojo”, where parents can buy a cup of tea/coffee, providing additional funds. With these, we have been able to buy a speaker system, electronics needed by some of our groups, and our own 3D printer! Thank you, our CoderDojo ninja sidekicks!
And of course we must thank our mentors, who volunteer their time and expertise entirely without charge week after week, to make CoderDojo Athenry the success that it is.
Here is the full list of belts we awarded:
- Explorers: 44 (39 Yellow & 5 White)
- Advancers: 18
- Bodgers: 17
- Hackers: 8
- Creators: 5
- Black Belt: 1
Special mention must go to Eoin Clarke, who received our first ever black belt award. Eoin has been in CoderDojo Athenry for several years, working his way up through the groups, and this year took on the role of Mentor. Well done, Eoin!
Above are some photos of the belts awarded. You can find more on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CoderDojoAthenry/posts/1465673366786859
CoderDojo Athenry is now closed for the summer. See you all in September!