CoderDojo Athenry is held every Saturday between 12:00 and 2pm (see below for details of our schedule) in the main hall and other rooms of Clarin College in Athenry (previously called Gairmscoil Mhuire or “the Tech”).
New members are always welcome: just come along, fill out a form, and join in. You should bring a laptop if you have one, or if possible arrange to share one with a friend, and feel free to bring a drink and/or snack also.
For 2016-2017, we have a limited number of laptops available to borrow each week.
Ninjas from 8 to 18 are welcome to join us. Children aged 12 and under must be accompanied by a parent/guardian who stays in the room for the full session. We have over 150 members in total, about 50/50 girls and boys.
For the 2016/17 season starting in September 2016, we had several streams in CoderDojo Athenry:
- Explorers, led by Martha, was formerly the Scratch Beginners group, as well as Scratch, it will include graphics packages and stop-motion animation
- Advancers, led by Mark and Oliver, was formerly the Scratch Advanced group, and will feature more advanced projects Scratch and packages such as GameMaker
- Bodgers, led by Declan, was formerly the Raspberry Pi group and will involve hardware and electronics projects
- Creators, led by Kieran, was formerly the Unity group and will involve 3D game development in Unity, complemented by 3D modelling and sound effects
- Hackers, led by Michael, is a new group, and is a hacker space for CoderDojo Athenry, with more in-depth projects building on technologies learned in other groups, as well as new ones
We encourage people to work through the groups in the order listed above. Creators and Hackers are aimed at young people in secondary school.
We post notes from a lot of our projects and games on this blog. Anybody anywhere who wishes to re-use them is welcome to do so.
Contact us with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are very grateful to our supporters:
- Clarin College secondary school in Athenry and in particular the principal Ciaran Folan for all of their support and for hosting us every week.
- Galway and Roscommon Education and Training Board, who provide an annual youth club grant
- Medtronic, who have provided a grant to CoderD0jo Athenry organised by Declan Fox, to match Declan’s voluntary work as a mentor
- The donations we received in 2014/15 from MCS Kenny Wood Group.
We look forward to you joining us!
– Michael and the CoderDojo Athenry Mentors.
Schedule for January-June 2017
|25-Feb-17||Off (Primary mid-term)|
|18-Mar-17||Off (Paddy’s Weekend)|
|15-Apr-17||Off (Easter Weekend)|
|22-Apr-17||Off (Easter break)|
|29-Apr-17||Off (May B/H)|
|20-May-17||On: Belts/Projects Prep|
|27-May-17||On: End with Belts and Pizza|
|17-Jun-17||Coolest Projects Dublin|