CoderDojo Athenry will restart for the 2018-2019 season on 15 September 2018.
CoderDojo Athenry is held on Saturdays between 12:00 and 2pm in the main hall and other rooms of Clarin College in Athenry.
New members are always welcome: just come along on any Saturday, fill out a form, and join in. You should bring a laptop if you have one, or if possible arrange to share one with a friend, and feel free to bring a drink and/or snack also. We also have some loaner laptops available to borrow each week.
Ninjas from 7 to 17 are welcome to join us. Children aged 12 and under must be accompanied by a parent/guardian who stays in the room for the full session. We have over 150 members in total, about 50/50 girls and boys.
For the 2018/19 season , we have the following groups in different rooms in CoderDojo Athenry:
- Explorers, led by Martha, is where people usually start; they learn how to progam in Scratch and how to use graphics packages and stop-motion animation
- Advancers, led by Oliver, features more advanced projects Scratch and some other technologies
- Bodgers, led by Declan, involves digital making and physical computing using the Raspberry Pi and Arduino
- Hackers, led by Kevin and Michael, is a hacker space for CoderDojo Athenry, with more in-depth projects building on technologies learned in other groups, and involves 3D modelling, 3D printing, and soldering.
We encourage people to work through the groups in the order listed above, though you are welcome to start in one group and switch to a different one if you are not enjoying it. Hackers is for young people in secondary school who have plenty of past technical experience in CoderDojo.
We post notes from a lot of our projects and games on this blog. Anybody anywhere who wishes to re-use them is welcome to do so.
Contact us with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are very grateful to our supporters:
- Clarin College secondary school in Athenry and in particular the principal Ciaran Folan for all of their support and for hosting us every week.
- Galway and Roscommon Education and Training Board, who provide an annual youth club grant
- Medtronic, who have provide an annual grant to CoderDojo Athenry organised by Declan Fox, to match Declan’s voluntary work as a mentor
- Boston Scientific, who have provided us with the use of 3D printers
- HP Enterprise, who provide the loaner laptops that our members use every week.
We look forward to you joining us!
– Michael and the CoderDojo Athenry Mentors.