This week we build a super-simple humanoid character mesh using metaballs, a new modelling technique. We then rigged the character for animation with a simple armature.
Here are the video instructions:
Here’s a link to the folder where we store all our files . You’ll find a new file in there called humanoid_wip.blend, containing everything we did this week.
As an aside, my wife and I were playing with this character. Here’s what we did:
- Exported the mesh as an FBX (Select the mesh, File|Export|FBX and choose “export selected”)
- Loaded that FBX file into Mixamo.com
- In Mixamo, identified the key parts of the body and allowed it to process
- Attached a breakdancer mo-cap to the model
- Exported it again from Mixamo
- Imported it back into Blender (File|Import|FBX)
- Added some props (a hat and glasses) and made sure to add them to the head vertex group
- Texture painted the character
- Added some basic props, a ground, some cardboard and graffiti walls
- Animated the camera a little
- Imagined the music in our heads… 🙂
Hopefully you might be encouraged to try something like this yourself!